I have put together a quick guide on increasing social media engagement and strengthening your customer relationships:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Content is King
- Increase Positive Engagement
- Post consistently
- Engage with your fans
- Talk to your followers directly
- Page House Keeping
First and foremost, you need to understand who your target audience/s are as well as their motivation to buy your products.
Start by asking yourself what problems you solve and think deeply about how your expertise and products will benefit these people. Look at the market and ask yourself why you are uniquely placed to sell your products to them.
A good place to start is by identifying who has already bought your product or service. To further refine your audience, segment them into primary and secondary groups and paint a picture of who your target customers are. This includes target demographics like age, gender, location and any other relevant attributes, e.g. marital status, how many kids they have, interests, etc.
Content is King
Have a consistent theme and stick to it. People may be more likely to follow your page if they know what they can expect.
You’ll want to have a mix of your own content and popular content you’ve found on the internet, for example studies or influencers backing up your business and products. If you are sharing someone else’s content, always credit them in the share.
You’ll also want to create unique content of your own. The key to creating engaging content is an honest, attention-grabbing headline as well as understanding what is interesting to your audience.
You can bring more attention to a post by pinning it to your Page or embedding it in your website. When you pin a post, it will remain at the top of your Page so it's the first thing people will see.
Increase Positive Engagement
You will want to create content that that will drive an emotional response from people and that people will want to engage with. It could be an opinion poll, a video people can relate to, a graphic that makes people laugh, or a product photo that encourages someone to tag their friends. Inspire people, make them laugh, educate them, relate to them.
When you create a post always add a call to action at the end of it. You can ask people to like, comment, and share with their friends or end the post with a question. People are more likely to share or comment on a post if you ask them to.
Be mindful of avoiding content that will harm or make people angry at your brand such as sensitive issues, bigotry, spelling or grammatical errors, or foul language.
Post a variety of content, for example:
- Status Updates - what’s new and happening at your business? Are there any special offers happening?
- Blog Posts – Create a blog post or share an article on an interesting topic.
- Personalized Photos & Stories – Take snap shots of workers, customers, and events you’ve attended or hosted.
- Images and graphics – Upload photos your products or graphics that people are likely to engage with.
- Videos – Upload educating, thought-provoking, amusing or product-related videos.
Regardless of the type of content that you post, make sure that there is always an image or video included in the post. You will also soon identify which posts have the best responses and which one’s people aren’t engaging with much.
To increase social media engagement, you’ll need to post regularly on your pages. On average, 2-3 posts per platform per day will help you build an engaged audience. If you post too much, you may annoy your audience, which can result in an unfollow.
You’ll also want to post at the best times. On average, between 1-3pm is the best time to post on most social networks.
Engage with your fans
Get a dialogue going between you and your followers!
- Allow fans to write on your wall and leave reviews.
- Ask followers to caption an image or hold a contest, for example a recipe contest.
- Host a giveaway and request followers to comment or share your post.
- Respond to their comments and questions and get a dialogue going.
- Host regular live videos where fans can tune in and ask you live questions.
- Encourage a sense of community between your followers by creating a group. You should moderate posts within the group to avoid spam and to ensure that the group remains valuable to its community and standards.
- Create events.
Talk to your followers directly
Let your fans know that you are keen to communicate with them and that you make an effort to be available.
When you're ready to start receiving and responding to messages, enable messaging on your Page so that customers can start conversations with you.
Turn on Instant Replies to send an automated reply to anyone who messages your Page. This feature can be used to greet customers and thank them for contacting you before you can respond personally.
With a Messenger Greeting, you can set a customisable greeting to appear when someone begins a conversation with your Page for the first time. This greeting appears before any messages are sent and can provide any information you want people to have before they message you.
Page House Keeping
- Make sure your Page is eye-catching. A good start is using your logo as a profile picture and uploading a vibrant cover photo. Do not use frames here as they draw attention away from your image.
- Use the About section to tell people a little bit about what your business does.
- Before using a photograph or video on your Facebook business Page, look at it on your smartphone and ensure that your main subject is clear and that is captures your attention.
- Keep up to date with your market and competitors. Make a note of posts that are engaging and drive an emotional response. Use these as inspiration to create similar posts of your own.
- Keep up to date with Facebook news to continuously optimise your engagement strategy. For example, Facebook are currently implementing changes to help users find relevant content to help them have more meaningful social interactions.